The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Regular IRA xfer to Roth IRA Date:  8/27/1997  10:08 AM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  282 of 127512

<<If you do the latter, remember that the distribution from your IRA might bump you into a new tax bracket, since one-quarter of the amount will be included in your 1998 income.'>>

Perhaps yes...

<<What do you make of that? Did Fortune make a slightly different interpretation of the rollover provision that they might need to retract in the next issue? Or are my concerns about rollovers and the AGI limitations less worrisome given this different math?>>

Nope. Not necessarily.

Remember that for rollovers that take place in 1998 ONLY, you'll get a break by being able to pay the tax over a four year period. The law is unclear if that means: compute the tax in TOTAL for 1998, and pay 1/4 in 1998 and the remaider over the next three years. only 1/4 of the IRA to Roth rollover in 1998, and report the remainder over the next three years.

Most professionals now believe (and I am one of them) that you will only be required to report and pay tax on 1/4 or your IRA to Roth rollover in 1998. The remainder will be reported in the future.

But the real question that I have is, although you get this special break, will the TOTAL amount of the IRA to Roth rollover be included in the AGI limitation computations for 1988, even though the income will be spread out over a 4 year period.

Hopefully IRS regulations are on the way.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us