The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  options Date:  9/19/1997  4:53 PM
Author:  VlLPastor Number:  398 of 127549

A couple of years ago, I was given some options, non-qualified I believe it is called. The
stock at the time was $19 and is currently around $30. When I buy the stock, I will have
to pay taxes on the difference between the $19 and the $30.
a. Are the taxes I pay income or capital gains? Is there any way to pay 20% instead
of 28%?
b. After the stock is bought and the taxes are paid will the $30 price be my new
base price?
c. Will I then have to wait 18 months and a day to sell the stock and pay 20%
capital gains?

If this has already been discussed, just point me to the relevant message.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us