The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/finally-a-victim-eruh-i-mean-customer-he-10034411.aspx

Subject:  Re: jump start Date:  9/24/1997  12:05 PM
Author:  rayvt Number:  377 of 75794

Finally, a victim---er,uh, I mean "customer". (He said, rubbing his hands in glee!)

Read my recent 4-part posting on "Drawdown". Invest her money in a UV2 strategy, and draw no more than 10% a year, and she will probably never run out of money. Drawing $10K from a $70K portfolio is 14%, so there is a possibility that she might go broke. If you want me to run detailed numbers for you, email me, and I will. I'd suggest staggered UV2 portfolio, spaced 3 or 4 or 6 months apart. Each portfolio would have a holding period of 12 or 18 months. As each one comes due, withdraw the proportional amount of living expenses between then and the next portfolio's turn. Example: if you have six portfolios spaced 3 months apart, with an 18 month holding period, then every three months you'd update one of them, withdraw 3 months of living expenses and invest the remainder of the money into the current UV2 stocks.

She might be best off in taking SS as soon as possible, especially if doing so will reduce her draw to below 10%.

If she doesn't want to take control over her own money, she'd better develop a taste for Alpo. You are not likely to find a financial planner who will stick to a UV2 approach for her. ("High returns for the client, low commissions for me? NAH!")

Good luck,

Ray

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us