The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth IRA Date:  10/3/1997  12:16 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  446 of 127513

<<How does one designate a contribution/investment 'Roth IRA'?>>

I'm sure that you will have separate paperwork to complete with the financial institution in question. Since the Roth provisions don't become effective until 1998, it is a little early to know exactly. But you can be assured that the paperwork that you complete with the bank/brokerage firm will specifically identify the contribution and/or rollover.

<<I have a f-f portfolio, and would like to use this for retirement?>>

Is this a question or a statement? Nothing will prohibit you from using the Foolish 4 in a Roth IRA account.

<< What about account keeping? Does someone audit these?>>

Since how the funds "earn" within the IRA (either Roth or regular)is immaterial, so the recordkeeping is not as stringent as you are used to. And yes, it is possible that the IRA will be subject to audit. But the questions that will be asked will deal with the eligilibility of the contribution/rollover, and NOT how the funds had grown.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us