The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/100k-agi-limit-for-roth-ira-10039701.aspx

Subject:  100K AGI limit for Roth IRA Date:  10/8/1997  9:49 PM
Author:  wrndln Number:  487 of 120797

First I want to thank you for your previous answers to my IRA and tax questions.

I have 2 questions. The first involves the 100K AGI cap for converting regular IRAs to Roth IRAs. Is the 100K cap based on 1997 or 1998 AGI? If it is based on 1998 AGI, and I am close to the limit, I may not know whether I'm over until early 1999 due to mutual funds dividends, capital gains, etc that arrive early in 1999. Since I'd like to open a Roth IRA in early 1998 and need to convert regular IRAs to Roth IRAs for tax benefits in 1998 this could be a problem. Can you shed some light on this situation?

My second question concerns a message I think you (Roy) answered several weeks ago. I think you said (not positive though) that the taxable amount that is converted from a regular IRA to a Roth IRA must be added to the AGI for limit testing. I just received a mailing from T Rowe Price that said the conversion amount is not used in figuring the 100K AGI cap. I know I must add at least 1/4 of the taxable conversion to my 1998 tax if I meet the AGI test. Which do you think is correct?

Thanks
Rusty
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us