The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lti-know-there-are-lots-of-problems-with-10040326.aspx

Subject:  Re: Combining SEP IRA and IRA? Date:  10/10/1997  9:06 AM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  445 of 76238

<I know there are lots of problems with different kinds of money. I have a Rollover IRA (rolled from a 401K), and a SEP IRA. Can I combine them? I'd like to start a UG5 with them, and it would be a lot easier if it were one account. It would be harder to buy 5 stocks of roughly equal value each time because of the two different balances.

I understand that at best, I wouldn't be able to take the IRA and put it in another employer's 401K. I'd be okay with that if I can combine them.>

1.) I have never understood why someone would want to put money in an IRA back into a 401(k). I see so many complaints of the form: My 401(k) allows me a limited range of investments, mostly underperforming mutual funds, and I want one that is self-directed; I do not want to quit the company or die: what should I do. If you have the money out of a 401(k) and in a self-directed IRA, I cannot imagine why you would wish self-impose the undesirable restrictions that come with most 401(k)'s. So, by all means, combine them.

2.) I have money in several portfolios: Foolish Four (a value strategy), UG5, MoneyHeavy, and Emotional. If you are new at this, I would NOT start with the UG5 unless you have a doctor who will prescribe tranquilizers freely. Or wear heavy gloves so you do not bite off your fingernails. That
portfolio is very volatile. My UG5 was down about $16,000 last March or so and up about $25,000 the other day. Can you stand volatility like that? It is easier if over half your money is in something calmer, such as the Foolish Four, Unemotional Value, or MoneyHeavy (a CashKing strategy).

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us