The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Retiring before 59 1/2 Date:  10/10/1997  9:08 AM
Author:  zbar Number:  446 of 88520

There are three approved ways to calculate your substantially equal payments. One is the minimum distribution method. This results in the lowest payout. The other two ways are annuitized assuming an earnings growth rate. (All three use life expectancy). With the annuitized rate you can calculate an annuity factor, and then this applied to your beginning annual balance determines your payout. The earnings growth rate has to be a number that the IRS will approve. (They have approved numbers in the 5-9% range). But if you are invested in the UG5 or any other equities, you may still beat your assumed earnings growth rate and your annual distribution will increase according to your investment results.

NOTE: do some more research on this before you attempt to tackle this on your own. I got a lot of good information from several sources (including some earlier private IRS rulings) before I felt comfortable with all of this.

Good Luck!


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us