The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Cash Gifts from Parents Date:  12/4/1997  1:24 AM
Author:  ak49er Number:  810 of 127753

My wife's father and my wife equally owned some property which was recently sold. The proceeds, according to my father-in-law, pass "tax-free" to our children ($10,000/child) plus the share my father-in-law owned he passed to my wife (his daughter) tax-free. My wife and I would like to invest the proceeds in a BTD strategy. Is it necessary to make this investment in a UGMA or UTMA to realize the tax break of the proceeds from the sale? If I don't use a UGMA or UTMA have I lost anything?

Is this question beyond the scope of this message board?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us