The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: definition of self-employed? Date:  12/14/1997  2:22 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  906 of 127747

<<I'm a graduate student that has a part time job with the university. I also did a lot of contract work
(1099) this year. Can I claim to be self-employed? I'm not positive, but it's probably the case that
over half of my 1997 income came from contract work.>>

I would guess that your part time work withe the University has been paid to you via payroll and payroll deductions, which implies employee status.

Receiving payments via 1099 generally implies that you are an independent contractor, and therefore self employed (althought this is NOT the true definition).

So in your case, it is likely that you'll be required to file a Schedule C to report your self employment income and deductions.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us