The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-are-receiving-the-top-match-from-both-10066235.aspx

Subject:  Re: My limits Date:  12/17/1997  5:06 PM
Author:  RecoveringFool Number:  850 of 75780

We are receiving the top match from both employers(to me, not doing this would be like walking past money laying in the street). Our 3 kids are currently in pricey private schools(2 at 6700, 1 at 10,000) so we live very frugally and projecting what we need for retirement without tuition certainly takes the income needs down. no, he really doesn't plan to retire - he LOVES what he does(software engineering). I think it's strange but when I do projections, I assume he will retire at 65. We'll be fine no matter what we do.(Also our income split is about 20% me, 80% him). We're in our 40's and started retirement savings mid-20's. I guess where I am is that I'm really not planning to mess with any kind of IRA until all of the kids are out of college(12 years from now). At that point I'll reassess our tax situation and see what I want to do with gifts for the kids. In the back of my mind, I'd like to surprise them with gifts toward down payments when they buy their first houses. I would also like to supply any grandchildren with musical instruments and lesson if they desire.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us