The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: IRA Deductability for Low-income Minors Date:  12/19/1997  9:15 PM
Author:  dkarp Number:  956 of 127617

<<Which is why it makes almost no sense to take an IRA contribution when there is no tax benefit attached to it...UNLESS you can do something with a Roth rollover...but that will be a one year shot deal.>>

I understand that (in 1998 only) you can spread the effects of rolling over a regular IRA into a Roth IRA over 4 years. Is there any way to elect to avoid this 4-year spread-out and roll the IRA over all at once?

Also, are there any special tax forms (besides the IRA line on the 1040) that one must fill out to document regular IRA contributions? IRA contributions that turn out to be non-deductible?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us