The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/orangeblood-wrote-ltlti-have-read-before-it-10077282.aspx

Subject:  Re: Combine accounts? Date:  1/9/1998  8:46 AM
Author:  shess Number:  1138 of 76082

orangeblood wrote:
<<I have read before it is not wise to rollover a 401(k) account into an IRA.... just in case one needs to put that money back into a 401(k) in the future.

But since I am able to self direct the new combined IRA account any way I wish, what advantage would there be to keeping the funds separate?>>

You can certainly rollover a 401(k) into a seperate rollover IRA account, called a "conduit" IRA, and later roll it back into another 401(k). That way you keep your options open.

IMPORTANT: You need to make absolutely certain that your IRA trustee can handle this. Some can't or won't handle seperate accounts for the same tax ID, and for a conduit IRA to work, it _must_ be a seperate account, once mixed with other IRAs (except perhaps other conduit IRAs), you can't continue the rollovers. For instance, a different mutual fund from all your other mutual funds - or even stronger, a different mutual fund _family_.

shess

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us