The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/orangeblood-ltltstill-on-the-subject-of-10077557.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rollover to 401k or IRA? Date:  1/9/1998  2:11 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  1167 of 75340

Orangeblood,

<<Still on the subject of rolling 401k money into an existing IRA and combining the money...

I have switched jobs. Yesterday I mailed the information to initiate rolling 401k money from my previous employer to my new one. Luckily, my new employer has a self-directed option through a Fidelity Ultra Account.

However, *I did not even think* about rolling the 401k money into one of my existing IRAs instead of into the new 401k. I'm sure I can call before my envelope arrives and stop the rollover. But should I, or since my new 401k is self-directed, just let it go there instead?

(With these decisions, plus shopping for the best discount broker(s) for my other IRAs, plus the decision to convert them to Roths or not.... my Orange brain is reeling!)>>

I'll leave the "should" up to you. I doubt if you can stop it anyway now that the process is underway. You are fortunate to be in one of the very rare plans that lets you self-direct your investments. Therefore, unless the broker's fees for trades are significantly higher than those you would expect from a discounter, IMHO you're just fine letting things go their course.

Regards....Pixy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us