The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlti-have-switched-jobs-yesterday-i-mailed-10077637.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rollover to 401k or IRA? Date:  1/9/1998  3:38 PM
Author:  drbear Number:  1173 of 75384

<<I have switched jobs. Yesterday I mailed the information to initiate rolling 401k money from my
previous employer to my new one. Luckily, my new employer has a self-directed option through a Fidelity Ultra Account.

However, *I did not even think* about rolling the 401k money into one of my existing IRAs instead of into the new 401k. I'm sure I can call before my envelope arrives and stop the rollover. But should I, or since my new 401k is self-directed, just let it go there instead?>>

You should probably stop the rollover. Unless Fidelity has greatly modified their fee structure, you are going to find better commission rates at a discounter.

However, this sparks a follow-up question for Pixy:
Are you allowed to move 401(k) rollover funds (from a previous employer) out of your current 401(k) at any time, or once rolled in do they have to stay with the current employer until you leave the job?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us