The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Convert Losing IRA to ROTH Date:  2/1/1998  10:20 AM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  1660 of 127549

[[I have a Non-Deductable IRA from a previous year that is down 40% from original investment. If i
were to convert that to a Roth could I use the loss to offset other's with a gain?]]

Nope. Sorry. The loss would stay with the IRA. You would simply have less money to convert to your Roth IRA. And remember, on conversion, ALL individual IRAs are treated as one. So if your have multiple separate regular IRAs, some with gains, and some with losses, you can NOT pick and chose those that you want to convert.

For additional information, check out IRS Publication 590 at the IRS web site.

TMF Taxes

SPECIAL NOTE: I try to answer as many questions as I can each week, and I generally select those that have not been asked before. If you don't get a detailed answer to your question, it is probably because my time is so limited during tax season, or because it has already been asked and answered in this folder in the past, or because it has been discussed in the Taxes Frequently Asked Questions area. In order to visit the Taxes FAQ area, go to the Fool's School area ( and check out "Other Features" in the list box, OR you can jump directly to the Taxes FAQ area ( Additionally, if any references were made to the IRS Web Site, you can get there by pointing your web browser to (

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us