The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tc001-super-post-and-well-argued-we-can-10096347.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA Contriubtions & Conversions Date:  2/2/1998  6:42 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  1596 of 76395

TC001,

Super post!!!!!!!! And well-argued. We can all speculate on the shape, type and impact of real and imagined changes until we're blue in the face. Until it happens, though, we gotta live with what is and plan accordingly.

You said:

<<I know that all contributions are made at the marginal rate, as I stated in my original post. This fact *cannot* be disputed. So at least I can agree with one of you, but only on the numbers on IRA contributions and growth.>>

It's me! It's me! :-P

You also said:

<< Finally, the alternate tax method arguement about some type of consumption tax is thrown in. Once again, does this make a Roth IRA distribution better or does it really argue against the Roth? With a national sales tax, when you buy a television nobody is going to ask if it's being paid for with Roth funds, thereby making it free from tax :) >>

Not just the Roth is involved here. ALL savings will be affected. Those of us who tried to save will be hit the worst because instead of spending it all early, we tried to put some aside for when it really counted. In a traditional IRA, you'll get hit as well, so if that occurs, who wins besides Uncle Sam?

Regards…..Pixy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us