The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgtgtltlt-and-dont-forget-the-5-year-10098422.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA Date:  2/5/1998  12:01 PM
Author:  orangeblood Number:  1636 of 75340

>>><< And don't forget the 5-year waiting period before you can withdraw without penalty...>>

And don't forget that only applies to conversion Roth IRA contributions. Contributory Roth IRA contributions may be taken at any time. Earnings may be taken after age 59 ½ penalty free provided the account has been open at least five years.<<<<

Hmm... I missed that somewhere along the way. In fact, I still had a question as to whether initial funds in a conversion Roth would be considered as contributions.

To put it in the form of a simple question: If I convert a traditional IRA to a Roth this year, and the intitial total is $5,000.... in 5 years will I be able to withdraw that $5,000 without penalty? The reason I'm asking is I still haven't seen a definitive "conversion money will be treated as a contribution" statement from the Feds.

Second question: Just to clarify... you're saying if I open a Roth IRA this year with a $2,000 contribution, next year I can withdraw $2,000 without penalty?

Thanks,

orangeblood
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us