The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pixy-you-dont-know-how-much-i-appreciated-you-10099540.aspx

Subject:  Re: Have I missed the Roth IRA boat? Date:  2/6/1998  9:03 PM
Author:  jo614 Number:  1667 of 75825

Pixy

You don't know how much I appreciated you last post about direct transfers. I had called the IRS today because I received a 1099R for distribution of retirement savings that I had transferred to my broker due to seperation of service from my previous employer. This IRS agent had me almost in tears. She was saying that I could not take my 403b fund or my pension fund and "roll" it over into an IRA. She said that now I would be subject to the tax on all that money and I would also exceed the yearly maximum IRA contribution and would be penalized 6 percent. I frantically called my financial advisor and she told me the IRS agent was mistaken. After reading your post, I now understand that what I did was a direct transfer and was not related to any kind of rollover. I can sleep better tonight knowing that the IRS isn't coming after my retirement nestegg. Thanks for a wonderful post at a most appropriate time. Jo
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us