The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Do I need to file 1040X? Date:  2/14/1998  7:20 PM
Author:  mjskas Number:  1999 of 127753

Well, it never fails.  I filed my tax returns last 
week, and today I find a corrected form 1099-DIV in my 
mailbox.  The difference between the original and 
corrected 1099-DIV is as follows:

Form      Div   STCapGain  Tot_LTCapGain  20%LTCapGain
old       N/A    $0.36        $3.17           $2.09
corected  N/A    $0.67        $2.86           $2.09

All values are per share.  As you can see, what they 
did was add $0.31 to short term capital gains and 
subtract $0.31 from ordinary (not special rate) long 
term capital gains.  The % tax that I pay on short term 
and ordinary long term capital gains is the same, so 
this correction does not change the tax that I owe.  
The only thing that I can think of that this changes is 
all of the math that I did on Schedule D (as well as 
the types of gains reported).  If the changes made to 
1099-DIV does not change my tax, do I need to file Form 
1040X?  The actual dollar amount of change is fairly 
small and I don't want to file an amended return if I 
don't have to.



Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us