The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-chucklefool-and-welcome-ltltjust-10112335.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth vs 401k Date:  2/23/1998  2:30 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  1931 of 75381

Greetings, ChuckleFool, and welcome.

<<Just read about a 401k strategy of putting no more into than the company will match. My company matches 6% and I'm putting in 12% before tax currently. The next leg of the strategy is to place the balance into a Roth IRA. While there will be the tax bite up front, The money will grow tax free and I can access the money anytime I need to without penalties. Read this in Kiplinger's magazine - sounds too good to be true! Does Roth IRA mean I only pay taxes now? Seems like there must be some restrictions or an avalanche of people would be pouring into Roth IRAS.>>

The Roth is a "front-loaded" IRA. You get no tax deduction today, but after the account has been open at least five years and if you're over age 59 ½, you can take everything out tax-free. Whether it's a good deal or not depends on a number of things, not the least of which is what you think will happen to tax laws and what your tax rate is today versus what it will be when you start taking the money. It may not be the best thing for everyone. For more on this topic, scroll back in this folder to read the posts beginning on 1/31/98 under the subject "Roth Contributions and Conversions."

Regards…..Pixy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us