The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-finally-finished-reading-all-the-past-retirement-10117954.aspx

Subject:  Re: Figuring retirement sum Date:  3/2/1998  12:28 PM
Author:  orangeblood Number:  2029 of 75616

I finally finished reading all the past retirement articles (mentioned earlier in this thread) posted by Pixy and Rayvt. Let me just tell you both what an interesting and informative read it was... thanks to you and all who contributed to that.

Since there were so many strategies examined, please tell me if my observations are correct:

*A couple of different retirement dates were studied, 1961 and the early 70s (right before a two-year bear market)

*For those comfortable with it, staying fully invested in stocks seemed to be the best route (aside from possibly having a current year's living expenses in cash accounts)

*Using a DDA seemed better still

Beyond that, different drawdown methods were examined.... and here is where I need some more thoughts from everyone:

Would everyone who wishes please post the highest yearly percentage they are comfortable withdrawing... at least in the early years of retirement? For purposes of keeping it simple, let's not take into account any cost of living increases in that percentage. (And, if your's is a real-life example, so much the better!)

Thanks,

orangeblood
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us