The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgtgtso-a-person-who-is-an-ant-who-plans-10121907.aspx

Subject:  Re: Opting out of Social Security? Date:  3/6/1998  4:26 PM
Author:  orangeblood Number:  2107 of 74759

>>>So a person who is an ant, who plans and scrimps and saves for the future, should take care of the grasshopper that doesn't? Didn't the grasshopper die at the end of the parable during the cold, harsh winter while the ant was warm, cozy, and well fed? <<

Before being so harsh, consider that the person on social security may be an old father or grandmother of yours.<<<<<<<<<<

I agree here.... especially since I think the ant took in the grasshopper for the winter and properly chastized him.<g> Yes, we must certainly think of others.

But my question is: Even if SS survives, just exactly what good will it do for all but the destitute? Another way to ask this is: When I become eligible for payments in 25 years, I'll be getting $800 a month. I don't have my inflation calculator handy... but in 25 years it just seems to me that will be nothing more than beer money.

I just get this sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach when I think of all I've put into SS, and what I'll get back (even with best-case scenario). Eeesh.

Regards,

orangeblood
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us