The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Deductions from Self employ income Date:  3/8/1998  10:31 PM
Author:  Jafus Number:  2504 of 127638

My OPINION... for what it's worth.

The general rule is that professional education is considered deductible as a trade or business expense when a taxpayer has ALREADY established himself in a trade or business.

Educational expenditures incurred to meet the minimum requirements of being accredited or licensed as a professional in a trade or business are not usually deductible. So, if you are already a licensed engineer, take the deduction. If not, the IRS would probably consider this this deduction too aggressive... that is... if you are audited.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us