The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/establishing-new-irarothira-10123791.aspx

Subject:  Establishing New IRA/RothIRA Date:  3/9/1998  11:04 AM
Author:  DaveHeckendorf Number:  2520 of 121217

I'm going to establish a new IRA and, since I don't already have one had a couple questions:

I had been using company 401K and got burned by BAD investment strategies by plan administrators; will still invest although probably only to point of maximum company match as I can do better than those NOT-AT-ALL-foolish jesters. I have considered doing a 401K roll-over into a self-directed IRA (on a annual basis?, is this allowed?) and wondered if I could roll into a Roth IRA or are these reserved for AFTER-tax contributions?

I figured that I would set up a Roth IRA for 1998 and was wondering about 1997 IRA funding (since I haven't yet). If I wanted to establish a Roth IRA and fund it for 1997 and 1998 tax years, am I correct in my assumption that I would have to put 1997 funding in a standard IRA, take a distribution and pay penalties and taxes and then put the remainder in a Roth IRA with the 1998 funding?

Second, I might be re-filing prior year taxes for other reasons and wondered if I could re-state my IRA contribution from $0.00 to $2000/year funding it now eventhough I didn't ACTUALLY fund it then?(I presume the answer to be NO!)

Thanks for letting this new FOOL ramble...,
Dave
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us