The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Roth conversion in 98 or 99 Date:  3/13/1998  9:57 PM
Author:  Tiggertoo Number:  2192 of 88538

>>>Help. Do I convert in 98, which will be a low agi,but next three years
will be big agi's or do I wait until
99 and plan on a low agi (15%) ? Is the tax on the converted IRA amount
found by multiplying 15 times the amount for 99? and paying the tax all
in 99. It may be better not to use the 4 year spread.<<<

I recommend that you spend the $30 to get some tax software to look at the options. The 1997 year Turbo Tax software has the ability to do projections. There are many factors that affect the effective tax rate, and you really need some good software to look at the various factors. By converting, it may change the amout you can claim in dependents, as well as itemized deductions. Turbo Tax has a good projection module. I don't know about the Kipplinger product.

If you don't want to do the work your self, contact a CPA that has some software, and pay a little to get the peace of mind of knowing all the options and each effect on current as well as future taxes.

Lots of Luck.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us