The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltim-mystified-about-the-roth-hubbub-but-10140192.aspx

Subject:  Re: Honest IRA/Roth Comparisons Date:  3/28/1998  12:50 AM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  2433 of 74759

<<I'm mystified about the Roth hubbub, but maybe I'm just missing the boat.
When I try to compare a traditional IRA to a Roth, the Roth ALWAYS comes out behind. ... So, other than inheritance differences, why should I even consider a Roth?>>

You _are_ missing the boat. Most people who can afford to contribute to an IRA cannot make deductible contributions. It's that simple. If you are covered by any kind of a retirement account by an employer, you can't deduct the money you put into your IRA. And if you are making so much money that you can afford to put away $2000 (or $4000) per year, your skills are probably in such demand that employers offer benefits like a retirement plan.

We mostly dismiss a deductible IRA for pretty much the same reason we don't discuss the 10% long term capital gains rate. The only people it applies to are those people for whom it doesn't matter, because they can't afford to take advantage of it.

Regards,
Ray
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us