The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Accounting for a short Date:  4/7/1998  7:20 PM
Author:  KMHinson Number:  3315 of 127549

Help. I shorted a stock early in 97 and have been sitting on it ever since. The money that was put into my account is now counted as income. If it were a stock that I sold after having bought it, I would only pay taxes on the capital gains, but since I still haven't bought this one, how do I account for it? Do I have to pay taxes on the entire amount that I shorted it for? Somebody please help?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us