The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: trading inside an ira Date:  4/14/1998  4:21 PM
Author:  DrBear Number:  2817 of 88100

calabria wrote:
<<Do you guys know of a way to pay commissions for trades within an IRA from another source? I'd like to pay the fees with unsheltered $$. Is it a federal restricion that ira commissions come out of the ira
$$ ?? Do they consider the commision a contribution?>>

This question comes up often in both this folder and in the Tax Strategies folder. The answer from all of the resident experts is: you pay your commissions from within the IRA; there is no way to pay the commissions from outside the IRA. Any additional monies added to the IRA would count as a contribution (and yes, it is part of the law).
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us