The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/is-quitting-only-way-to-get-403401k-into-stocks-10153591.aspx

Subject:  Is quitting only way to get 403/401k into stocks Date:  4/14/1998  5:03 PM
Author:  sibelius Number:  2818 of 75650

My wife has a 403(b) plan at work, and her company is considering switching to a 401(k). In either of these plans she has the benefits of having contributions which are pretax combined with tax deferred gains.
My problem is that I would like to be able to invest this money in individual stocks at a deep discount brokerage. Since she is under 30, my guess is that the only way she can do this is to jump from job to job, which would allow her to perform rollovers into an IRA. Is there an easier way to get the benefit of higher returns from individual stocks, and the tax benefits of a 403(b)/401(k)?

Please assume we both are maxing out our Roth IRA's and I am maxing out my pension at work. Please correct any of my following assumptions:

*403(b)'s, custodual 403(b)(7)'s or brokerage 403(b)'s , & 401(k)'s allow investments in annuities and mutual funds only.

*Even if your Plan Administrator or Employer is flexible enough to let you perform a transfer out of a 403(b) or 401(k) your new account will be in one of the 3 categories above and will still be limited to annuities and mutual funds.

*An IRA is the only option that will allow me to invest in individual stocks, and there are only 4 ways to get her money into an IRA.
1) she dies
2) she is disabled
3) she retires at 55 or is it 59 1/2.
4) she quits her job or is fired.

The first 2 are not options I wish to pursue, the third is a ways off, and she is very happy at her current job. My questions are these:
1) Suppose she quits her job, can the 403(b)/401(k) administrator deny a rollover to an IRA?
2) Is there a way other than quitting where we can get her pension money into individual stocks?
(And what about the next job, what if it has a 401(k)/403(b) what contributions to those plans?)

Much Appreciated,

Glenn Engelbart

Please e-mail also, so I'll be sure to see your response. sibelius@execpc.com

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us