The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  IRA Money and Education Date:  4/20/1998  10:27 PM
Author:  DrMerlot Number:  2949 of 88508

Dear Retirement Gurus or Kat:
I am now thinking that I would like to change career direction in mid-life. I would like to use my IRA money for my higher education expenses. Lets say I want to get an MBA in finance and avoid the 10% excise tax. What can I consider as room and board? Can my mortgage
and food expenses count if I live at home and commute to a State University? If I already have a
graduate degree, does that make me ineligible for another advanced degree in another field? Is
there an upper limit as to what I can take out of the IRA if I can go on for more education?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Dr. Merlot

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us