The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/exicise-tax-avoidance-and-ira-distributions-10162266.aspx

Subject:  Exicise tax avoidance and IRA distributions Date:  4/23/1998  7:14 PM
Author:  DrMerlot Number:  3003 of 76418

Dear Pixy or Kat
On my path to enlightenment and financial bliss, I have come to a crossroads. I would like to make
my life easier by retiring in stages. I am under 59 1/2 and have been trying to understand the
exceptions to the 10% additional tax and the annuity distribution method. In figuring out my
minimum distribution from my IRA, as part of the life expectancy method, I have looked up the division factors for both single and joint survival. To make some decision regarding which factor and when, I hope
get an answer to this query:

If the life expectancy method is IRS approved for a series of substantially equal periodic payments,
do these payments need to be annual or could they be every 8 months or some other less than one
year periodic payment? For example, if the approved amount for a minimum distribution is 10K$, I believe I could take out 3K$ + 4K4 +5K$ at different times during the year so that the sum equals approved 10K$. However can I take out 10K$ in March, July, and November for year 1; 10k$ in May for years 2,3 and 4; and 10K$ February and August for year 5? They are equal periodic payments, but the times are less then or equal to a year.
Thank you in advance for your help in this important retirement issue.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us