The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltas-others-have-mentioned-charging-a-10179121.aspx

Subject:  Re: Surcharge for Using Credit Card?? Date:  5/13/1998  10:13 AM
Author:  PSUEngineerFool Number:  1545 of 308881

<<As others have mentioned, charging a surcharge for using a credit card is, in general, a violation of the merchant agreement. For VISA and MC, minimum payments are not allowed (I don't know about AMEX, but would guess that it is the same).>>

This was a topic of discussion several years back in Computer Shopper. Many computer venders at the time were adding surcharges. An article as I recall (and my memory is getting weak) stressed that buyers insist that surcharges be dropped. So after this article, you saw many companies switch from surcharges to cash discounts. This is the same tactic used by gasoline stations. (Remember the cash discount at Exxon stations.) Today, some computer venders are still doing business this way. My advice is to insist on the cash price when using a CC and take your business elsewhere if they don't give it to you.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us