The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Another Roth conversion Q Date:  5/13/1998  11:22 AM
Author:  scomack Number:  3278 of 88498

My understanding is that to convert an IRA to a roth, you must make less than $100,000 as either a single or a married couple. (It seems unfair to the couple since the income level is raised for a couple to donate.)
If this is true, my question is: what happens if a single man and a single woman who qualified to roll over into a Roth get married this year? Combined, they make more than 100K. It is also my understanding that they cannot file as married-filing single. Or is that just for contributing?
Thanks in advance for answers!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us