The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRAs for under 18 Date:  6/3/1998  12:24 PM
Author:  dweiss3 Number:  3561 of 88494

I did this for my kids. I simply called Vanguard and asked them to send me the forms to open an IRA account. I filled out the forms for each of my children, had them sign the forms and sent them back with a check equaling the earned income for the year (up to $2000). I did not try to set these up as custodial accounts. As I recall the forms do not request date of birth, so the fund co. doesn't care.

This not only got them started early on retirement savings but also allowed them to file for a full refund of the income tax withheld from their part-time jobs.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us