The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Contributing equities to Roth IRA Date:  7/1/1998  4:41 PM
Author:  Einecbn Number:  4106 of 88786

That's right. Just to add to that, the IRS does not want you to "protect" your capital gains since some part of that $2000 will probably have gains you should have paid taxes on. A reminder- Schwab charges $29 a year for IRA's if the balance is less than $10,000. Unless you decide to use your own cash to make the contribution (and not liquidate the stock, deposit it into the IRA and repurchase it), the Schwab commissions ($29 per trade) would be costly as well as having to paying taxes on the gains and repurchase the stock at a higher market price. I'd go with a discount broker for the Roth.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us