The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/when-can-i-start-buying-toys-10233662.aspx

Subject:  When can I start buying toys???? Date:  7/10/1998  10:31 AM
Author:  MoMoneyMoMoney Number:  4342 of 75824

As a 27 year old single male, I am having a hard time decideing when I can start buying "toys". Specifically, I WANT A BOAT FOR SALMON FISHING!!!!! I've been maxing out my 401k for 2 1/2 years, as well as three years worth of IRA contributions set aside. All these investments are in aggressive equity funds (mostly domestic with a small percentage allocated to international investments). I also own a house with a 75% LTV (loan to value) mortgage @ 7.25% no points. I recently paid off my truck, and will have some extra money to set aside. I have chosen an Oppenheimer G/I fund (my most conservative investment to date) and will start a systematic contribution out of my checking account later this month. HOWEVER, I have not designated what I want this money to go to (ie. subconsiously, I want to purchase a boat).

My question is this... Am I saving enough for retirement, and, if so, is it too early for me to start collecting "toys"??? If I'm not saving enough for retirement, should I be more aggressive with this extra $$$$$$$?

thanks,

MM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add this... I work for a bank and have "almost immediate access" to emergency cash via a personal loan (should I ever need it, knock on wood). I don't have hardly any liquid cash/cash investments though, as I have been funding my retirement savings like a mad man. Should I rely on the bank to loan me emergency funds (I'm planning on long term employment here) or should I save up the much talked about "six months worth"???
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us