The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-a-27-year-old-single-male-i-am-having-a-hard-10250268.aspx

Subject:  Re: When can I start buying toys???? Date:  7/23/1998  10:17 AM
Author:  gilvid Number:  4588 of 75885

As a 27 year old single male, I am having a hard time decideing when I can start buying "toys".
Specifically, I WANT A BOAT FOR SALMON FISHING!!!!! I've been maxing out my 401k for
2 1/2 years, as well as three years worth of IRA contributions set aside. All these investments are in
aggressive equity funds (mostly domestic with a small percentage allocated to international

Go for the boat! Get it out of your system now or find out if it will be a life long passion that you will get years of enjoyment from.
Make the boat an investment. You don't have to start out with a yacht, start with small USED one and every couple years spend a few more bucks and up grade if you still want to after the novelity wears off. You may find after the first couple of years you won't use it more 3 or 4 times a year. There are many boats out there of different quality, buy one that has excellant resale value.
As for expensive to maintain (!) bull. I have had a 19 ft I/O sleeps 5 for 12 yrs that sets on trailer in the backyard and gets a tarp over it in the NY winters. (You should keep it under hard cover to avoid the sun tho) Then I trailer it to the NY Finger Lakes in the summer. Burns 3 gal gas phr. 100-200$ pyr insurance if I choose. This year I splurged and it is now sitting at a dock in The 1000 Islands at cost of 100$ pmo. Ugh! You can make it as costly as U want. Enjoy a balanced life, getting an early start for retirement is wise on your part but what if your dead at 32.
Someday you'll get married and the wife might get seasick like mine does and that may be the end of the boat. Better yet find one with a boat. Run an ad "Wanted women with boat, send picture of boat."
Just a different viewpoint to help you make YOUR decision.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us