The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks T / Thermo Instrument Systems

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-owned-thi-for-almost-7-years-now-the-10295212.aspx

Subject:  Re: same boat Date:  8/26/1998  11:50 PM
Author:  Gargar Number:  5 of 15

I have owned THI for almost 7 years now, the longest held stock of my entire portfolio. For a while there, it was a really dependable, steady performer. Then this year...

Value Line, which is also my source for almost all non-internet information, implies that demand has dried up for a while and so earnings ar hurt. This has been a VERY punishing market when "growth" stocks miss their quarter-over-quarter earnings growth. THI slippe d a little and got hammered.

As Value Line says, the wuestion is how permanent the fall-off in demand will be. I gotta like the management, and the Thermo companies are all niche players connected in this elaborate pyramid which seeks shareholder value by spinning off divisions.

In short, I think that THI will come back in the next twelve to 18 months. It's earning have not fallen THAT far, and the Asian crisis has to pass some day. If you (and you club) can be patient, I think this would be a good time to add to your position.I will be.

Of course, I have been wrong before... :)

- Gargar
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us