The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Education IRA Question(s) Date:  9/3/1998  5:41 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  5324 of 88063

Tim, you asked:

I want to set up Education IRA's for my kids but I'm not sure of the correct path. Is this similar to a regular/Roth IRA, where I could do a self-directed type thing at a discount broker? If so, I assume I would just contact them, tell them I want to establish an Education IRA account, shuffle the appropriate paperwork, then pick the stocks?

See my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at for some info on EIRAs. The $500 limit per child per year means not many brokers will handle these IRAs. Nevertheless, for those who do there is no reason at all that they can't be established as a self-directed account. Like you said, it's just a matter of contacting the broker to set up the accounts for each child.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us