The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/then-i-find-out-that-all-commissions-for-online-10319345.aspx

Subject:  Re: Fool Four Appropriate for Self-Dir Roth? Date:  9/12/1998  9:51 PM
Author:  FoolishBull Number:  5398 of 74759

[[Then I find out that
all commissions for online trades MUST come from the IRA account itself ...

I was incredulous when I first heard this...it eats into my compound growth!! Fool-Four trading every
18 months at $20 a trade (DLJ rates) is insane. I guess IRAs are better suited for mutual
funds...which brings me to my other questions.

Is the Fool-Four investment method really suited for self-directed Roth/Regular IRAs?]]

IMHO, the FF method is ideal for practicing under an IRA. It us unfortunate that commissions must be taken from the funds under the IRA. But if you Foolishly keep commissions under 1-2%, the benefits should far outweigh the costs.

OTOH, if you don't have enough $$ under the IRA to keep commissions down, you could consider a 2-stock approach. Alternatively, you could hold 1 or 2 stocks under the IRA, and the remaining stocks in a regular brokerage account.

Good Luck

F.Bull

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us