The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/stony2-writes-ltltlet-this-newbe-make-a-10334152.aspx

Subject:  Re: How about some topics? Date:  9/22/1998  8:55 PM
Author:  rspires Number:  43 of 19224

Stony2 writes:
<<Let this newbe make a suggestion. Would'nt this board be more useful if we could focus on topics with relevant threads?>>

Allocations:
I am concerned about the question of ALLOCATIONS of
of "Nest egg funds." Does the old rule of thumb
"take your age (e.g., 60) and put that into "safe"
investments (i.e., 60% in Bonds plus Money Market),and with the remaining funds (in this e.g. 40%) into stock funds. It appears to me that this "rule" is of little to NO value! It does not account for your need for growth (so you don't outlive your money), or on the other side of the coin - being you don't need this for living expenses, but wish to share your good fortune with your children, etc. - so they can spend it and have a good time after you are gone! Any thoughts ?
Dick
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us