The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/roth-ira-and-simple-ira-contribution-limits-10341397.aspx

Subject:  Roth IRA and SIMPLE IRA Contribution Limits Date:  9/27/1998  12:44 PM
Author:  Boardhead Number:  5685 of 88786

I was a part-time employee for the first half of 1998. My husband does not have earned income. My employers have a SIMPLE IRA plan to which employees can make a maximum contribution of $6,000.00 per year. At the beginning of the year, I opened Roth IRA accounts for my husband and myself and we contributed $2,000 to each from our savings. I understood that we were allowed by law to contribute to both Roth IRA accounts and the SIMPLE IRA plan at my place of employment. I contributed the maximum of $6,000 to my SIMPLE account. Later I quit my job.

My question is: Are our contributions to these three IRA accounts limited to the total of my earned income for the year? As it turned out, I quit my job before I earned the total amount that I contributed to the three accounts. If I have contributed too much (contributions to the three accounts total $10,000) to these accounts because my earned income was less, what do I do about it now?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us