The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/vreinoso-writes-in-part-the-question-is-should-10344826.aspx

Subject:  Re: Transforming my 401k from Wise to Foolish Date:  9/29/1998  7:29 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  5732 of 76395

VReinoso writes (in part):

The question is should I lock in the loss and transfer the remaining amount to the self-managed option which would allow me to invest these and future contributions Foolishly or do I leave it there until I recoup my losses (who knows when?!) before transferring it to the self-managed account?

I reply:

You currently have a sum of money available to you, and two choices how to invest it: (1) leave it with the Wise, or (2) manage it yourself. You have decided that you want to manage new contributions yourself. It seems to me inconsistent to leave old contributions with the Wise.

Reasoning to the contrary seems to me akin to making a bad bet in the late rounds of a poker hand because you want to "keep" the large sum of money you've already placed in the pot. In fact, this reasoning is fallacious; no matter where the money in the pot started, it's not yours any more. Similarly, no matter how much of your money the Wise squandered, it's already gone. All you can do is look to the future. --Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us