The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Taking Control Date:  10/8/1998  11:37 PM
Author:  trillis Number:  5949 of 87979

I've got a Roth IRA conversion account that I converted this year at a discount broker. The account has about $1300 in it. I have not made a contribution to this account this year. I also have a 401K from an old employer that is in a mutual fund. I want to direct the 401K money myself since I don't like the funds my old employer offers (no S&P index fund). Is it possible for me to transition my 401K funds into my Roth account or is my only option to roll my 401K into a traditional IRA? According to my broker, I can roll my 401K over into a traditional IRA account, I'll have to open another IRA, and afterwards transfer that money into my Roth. However, he was much too unsure about this process to make me comfortable. Is it possible for me to do this? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us