The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sorry-i-pulled-the-trigger-too-fast-on-that-last-10375230.aspx

Subject:  Re: Self-directed 401(k)! Can 403(b) plans? Date:  10/20/1998  12:57 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  6124 of 74759

Sorry, I pulled the trigger too fast on that last reply. Here's what I meant to post:

Mcadoo11 asks:

I have read your posts about self-directed 401(k) plan options. Does anybody know if 403(b) plans can allow a self-directed option? What are the downsides of doing this? According to our plan, the company bears a responsibility to keep track of investments with all options and so the costs increase by allowing this alternative. Is this true?

A 403b plan may have self-directed options only for mutual fund selections. An option allowing the individual selection of stocks or bonds is not permitted under the law for 403b plans. And yes, allowing self-direction of 403b accounts even for mutual funds does increase the administative costs of operating that plan.

Regards……Pixy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us