The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greeting-grammie-and-welcome-you-asked-your-10375240.aspx

Subject:  Re: SOCIAL SECURITY Date:  10/20/1998  1:01 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  6128 of 76090

Greeting, Grammie, and welcome. You asked:

Your topic is timely for my question. Through past work, I meet social security's requirements (quarters worked) to eventually qualify for retirement. A few years ago, I began work with a local government who contributes to a PERS program rather than social security. My intent was to have two retirement checks from two different sources. Today a coworker said social security will deduct any PERS retirement $ I receive from the total amount of social security retirement $ I am due, and that this is true for ALL governments (Fed., state, or local) who do not participate in social security. Is this true?

Yes, under the windfall provisions of Social Security law you may have a reduction in your Social Security pension based on your entire SS work record and the number of years you worked without having to pay into that system. I don't track this per se, but simply know it exists. The National Asociation of Retired Federal Employees has a paper on this topic as I recall. Check their website at www.narfe.org and do search on "windfall provisions."

Regards….Pixy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us