The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-great-debate-10381639.aspx

Subject:  The Great Debate Date:  10/23/1998  9:21 PM
Author:  Thoughtleader Number:  6249 of 76421

Social Security is this nation's primary family protection program whether we like it or not. It supports not only retirees, but also disabled workers and the spouses and children of deceased workers. Indeed, it is a social compact between the generations.

I'm always respectful of things once brilliant though now dull (the inside of our home looks like a Time Machine). This is a time for vision. Let's not "throw the baby out with the bath water", so to speak.

There have been some fresh and inspiring ideas threaded on this board along with the usual dosage of greed, defeatism, elitism and other "isms" being tossed around. These ideas need to be forwarded to our representatives in Congress (gotta have some trust in our Fed).

You know, the average monthly check for individuals is just over $750. Almost two-thirds of beneficiaries receive one-half or more of their income from Social Security. Not much cause for a revolution there! We do not need to tax wealth, but I think it is socially irresponsible not to tax ALL wage produced income at this point in our history.

Just my 2 cents.---TL
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us