The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Simple IRA Questions? Date:  11/15/1998  2:59 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  6614 of 88033

JakeDeath asks:

<<Does my wife's contribution to her Traditional IRA have to come from her earnings (she has none!) or can it come from my earnings?>>

She needs no earnings as your spouse. You, though, must earn at least $4K per year so both you and she may contribute to an IRA. Hers will be deductible and yours won't.

<<Lastly... assuming an AGI of $105,000 (married filing jointly), what I'd like to do is contribute the deductible $2k into my wife's Traditional IRA and also set up a Roth in my name and contribute to that. Is this feasible? What is the maximum I'd be able to contribute to the Roth each year? >>

It's all feasible and possible. The maximum either of your may contribute is $2K per year.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us