The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 401(k) Help Date:  11/17/1998  8:55 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  6637 of 87981

Greetings, Leviathan, and welcome. You asked:

<<This is probably a simple question, but I don't know the answer to it. I just switched jobs 2 weeks ago and what I would like to know if I can roll my 401(k) money (about $11,000 I think) into my Roth IRA. Is this possible and what would be the tax ramifications of that? >>

Zgriner gave you an excellent response to which I will add but one correction. He said:

<< Assuming you convert $11,000 this year and your tax bracket is 28%, you have the option of paying a $3080 tax this year, or $770 this year and each of the next 3 years.>>

That's close, but not quite accurate enough. If you convert $11K before 12/31/98, then you have the option of declaring one-fourth of that ($2,750) as income in each of the tax years 1998 through 2001, inclusive. The amount of taxes you pay on that income will depend on the tax rates in effect for your taxable income in each of those years.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us