The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/401k-traditional-ira-roth-ira-help-10420219.aspx

Subject:  401k, Traditional IRA, Roth IRA? HELP Date:  11/17/1998  9:25 PM
Author:  StressedFool Number:  6649 of 76418

I currently have a 401k (about $12,000) which I left intact when I left my former employer. Considering the fund options (the guaranteed government securities has the highest return for the year - what does that tell you!)and a letter I recieved today that two of the funds are getting a new manager, I don't think that I could do any worse on my own. I know that if I convert to a ROTH IRA I have to do it by the end of the year and can spread the tax over four years. I have a substantial increase in salary this year but AGI will still fall in the 28% bracket - next year will be iffy. I'm 54 but don't expect to retire any time soon. Can I roll this into a self-directed IRA and make contributions or do I have to set up a new IRA in order to make contributions? If I have DRIP's in a self-directed IRA do the dividends count towards the amount that I can contribute? I like the ROTH IRA since it has inheritance advandages but ---?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us